– There were two big tournaments last weekend, the Gem City Open and the Chicago Open. Although most of you went to Gem City, we did have about 4 people head up to Chicago for the weekend. From the responses that I got back from my previous email, the big money winners from Gem City were:
- Goran – $1200 – clear 1st place in the open – 4.5/5 – Goran is without a peer in Ohio chess, winning almost every event that he competes in.
- Rusty – $501 – 4.5/5 – clear 1st place in the U-1400 section
- Kunal and Elton tied for the 1st and 2nd U-1200 class prize – 4-1 – getting $400 each.
- Matthew and Miles got $266 each, ending in a 3-way tie for the U-1600 prize in the U-1800 section – 3.5/5
- Abhi got $100 for tying with two other people for the 2nd place U-2000 class prize 3/5 in the Open section.
- Between rounds some CCL players found a way to relax
– CCL students are starting to raise the bar by scoring well against internationally titled players. Walker drew two grandmasters and beat an IM at the Chicago Open, popping up to 2323. Annorjan drew a grandmaster at Gem City in a game that he came very close to winning.